Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Priorities

I've been thinking a lot lately about what my priorities are and what they should be.  This last weekend what General Conference.  For me, this conference really put in perspective what I should be doing with my life.  The last 3-4 months my focus has been on politics to the extect that it has almost consumed me.  It has consumed a lot of time at least.  I was so focused on it and felt that it should be a priority in my life that I spent all of the time that I could reading anything and everything I could about what was going on in the world.  I also took as much time as I could listening to talk radio.  I certainly feel more informed but I realize now that I have been neglecting the most important things in my life which are my family and my testimony.   I can now see how it has effected at least my spirit in the home.  All I want to do it talk about politics.  I also bring up politics with anyone and everyone that will talk politics.  My wife was getting tired of it and I think others were as well. 

Anyways, after this conference I have decided that I need to rearrange my priorities just a bit. Those priorities don't really include politics although I know I still need to keep up on what is going on in the world so as is stated in the scriptures: "...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." (D&C 38:30)  My priorities need to revolve around my family and my God.  I also need to focus more on what is my responsibility at that moment in time and do that to the best of my ability.  If I'm at work, do what is required of me at work, if I'm at home make the time I spend at home quality time and if I'm fulfilling my church callings, magnify those callings to the the best of my ability.

I also need to be prepared for whatever the Lord has in store for me and my family.  I got the impression during conference that our family might end up moving out of state somewhere and when the time is right I will know.  That time is not now but I felt that I is not too far away.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: