Monday, October 6, 2008

Loss of a Friend

Today, my wife lost a good friend.  The hardest thing about it is that he killed himself.  It might have been easier if it was because of an accident but it was not.  I did not know him but he was a friend of Karli and it hurt to see her hurt because of the loss of someone like that.  He apparently had his share of issues.  He had problems in middle school that develop a weakness in him for same gender attraction.  It was not entirely his fault, I believe, but he acted on those desires and was living with his boyfriend and was planning on going with him to California to get married.  All my wife could say was, "I hope your happy."  It is a very sad thing but we know, through the gospel of Jesus Christ, that this is not the end.  There is life after death.  He will have an opportunity still to repent and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It will be more difficult and more painful but he will have that opportunity.  All we can do is hope that he accepts it and fully repents.  Another thing we also know is that "the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life." (Alma 40:11)  He is now back home with God where the trials, tribulations, pain and miseries of this earth life are gone.  

I am grateful to have the gospel in my life.  I am grateful to know what I know about the plan of salvation.  It truly is a plan of happiness.  It brings me great joy in knowing what I know about the eternal nature of the family, husbands and wives and their role in the plan, and the opportunity we have to participate with God in precreation.  I want to do all I can for my family so they can have a good life here on earth and the opportunity to recieve eternal life here after.  I think without having the gospel it would be so much more difficult to deal with a situation like this.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: